Thursday, January 10, 2008

Organizational help wanted. And more time. 36 hours in the day, anyone?

I have been spending most of my time on Ravelry. Which is good, because I enjoy it. But it's bad, because I get nothing else done. The baby hats are still unassembled, the finished clogs are still unfelted, my sock yarn is not yet socks. I did finish Mike's hat, but it's too short, so I need to frog it back and make it taller. So what am I doing here? Good question.

I think I want to make a list of everything that I should be doing. All the challenges, all the goals, all of the projects I want to make. Here goes:

Gifts:
  1. Remaining Christmas clogs - if I cut down the list, I have 7 pairs left, not including a set for me (the clogs of many colors, to use up all the leftover bits)
  2. Baby hats - between 3-5; I keep getting confused
  3. Potholder sets - at least 1 set, perhaps 2. Or 3. Again, I am confuzzled.
  4. Socks for people - at least 3 pairs, not including the nieces' toddler/kid socks
Ravelry challenges:
  1. Sock KAL 2008 - one pair of socks a month
  2. Stash Knit Down 2008 - knit a mile of yarn between Jan. 5 and Feb. 19
  3. Sock Knitters Anonymous - one pair of socks a month, may or may not coincide with #1.
Personal goals:
  1. Fairfax Fibonacci Sweater - I'd like to get this done before Spring springs.
  2. Foliage hat for charity
  3. Freedom Yarns sweater(s) - I will have yarn for two sweaters. Still haven't totally decided on the patterns, though. Maybe just plain old top-down raglans, as they're easy, and the yarn is self-striping, so that will offer some interest.
  4. Knit down the stash in general.
  5. Knit down the acrylic stash, in particular. I need to make more pink furry objects for the nieces before they grow up.
  6. Make lots and lots of socks. I have a lot of sock yarn, and though it doesn't count as stash, I want some socks! I want to keep some, too.
  7. Do something other than knit! I have a kitty bed to sew for Zuzu, and a ton of cross stitch patterns to do.
  8. Make a Fibonacci bag to go with the sweater. I have the pattern drawn up, and the yarn, but haven't gotten around to working on it yet. It will be an easy and quick knit, but it still needs done...
  9. Design a sweater like Jim Henson's. I want to wear a frog on my chest.
  10. Try to keep up with the household stuff. I'd like to live in a clean house for a change.
  11. Organize my mp3s. I realized that some of my CDs have missing songs, and some of the things I have aren't in the correct folders.
  12. Volunteer more. (Read on for details)
So there's a start. In other news, my squee-worthy yarn showed up today. Not sure that it's the exact colorway I ordered. Okay, yes it is, it's just mislabeled. Good. It's brighter than I thought it would be, but that's not necessarily bad. Fun! And it came with a matching stitch marker!

I really wish people would drive with their headlights on when it's dark. It is cold in the house. At least I am cold now. If Mike wasn't pouring me a beer, I'd make some more tea. Yum - oatmeal stout! It took first place in the SAAZ H-BOY competition on Tuesday. Right now, Mike leads the pack for this year's title.

How has the writers' strike affected me? Not really at all. I'm used to the shows I like being cancelled early, so having the new shows that I like disappear after just a few episodes is normal for me. I do miss the Pie Maker, though. And my favorite Nerd Herder. Have I been watching anything else? Can't remember. We're still watching "Band of Brothers." Only a few episodes left. Crap. I missed the butt shots of the shower scene because I was typing. And Mike has the mouse, and refuses to rewind. Heh. I have watched too many medical shows - I keep expecting them to call out a time of death when someone dies.

It was very windy the other night, so windy that the house was shaking a bit. I woke up around 1:00 due to all of the noise. I guess there was an earthquake up north earlier that night. Day after all of the wind, Mike told me that one of my "nice blue flowerpots" had been blown off the deck and broken. I nearly cried, because I thought he meant my beautiful ceramic pot from Wizard of Clay. Thankfully, it was one of my cheap resin pots from Jo-Ann's. Cute, but I'm okay with its demise. I brought in my nice pot, which is good, as it's windy again tonight.

Yesterday, I went to a Women's Committee meeting at the museum. Interesting presentation on sustainability, and the merger of EcoCity Cleveland with the museum. Lunch was a tasty salad, with a marinated portabella mushroom, and an edible flower. Had an appointment afterward; did some work and discussed taxes. My sister and her husband were passing through on the way back from their gun stuff, and they stopped by and helped Mike install the new satellite dish. Well, Mac helped while my sister slept.

They've announced the Curator's Forums at the museum. I need to buy my tickets. Hope to do some volunteer work in the near future. Oh yeah, I should add that to my list. I want to be more active at the museum, and try to volunteer a bit for the Metroparks, too. Sad thing is that I don't want to give up my Sundays, as they are my only days off. I'd like to do what I can while at home (dinosaur data entry, perhaps), if I can ever drag myself away from Ravelry. And Zuzu. I love how she wiggles her butt before she pounces. I guess most cats do that, but she's particularly cute. Or maybe I'm just biased.

Anyway, I should probably get moving. Shut down the computer and be productive for a change. I have lots to do.

Important edits: I won a door prize at the CMNH luncheon. I now have some paperwhite bulbs being forced in a glass vase, on top of marbles. Will be very pretty when they bloom. I also bought some marbles leftover from the November event. Now I can make fried marbles. I will be crafty, oh yes, I will be crafty. Besides, they're very quick. I could even make them before bedtime tonight.

Reading: The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett
Watching: Band of Brothers
Listening to: Howard Jones, Best of

No comments: