Friday, August 24, 2007

Just call me Kitty... Kitty Furniture

Woke up around 5:00 as usual to a noisy kitty. Fed her, crashed on the couch (no work outside the home today, unless you include the grocery store). After she ate, she curled up on me, and purrrrrrrred.

So I'm wondering if I should post less frequently, as when I don't post I get more phone calls. No, we did not drown. We have one of the higher houses in this flat part of Ohio, and while our neighbors have had water/flooding trouble, we have not. *knock on wood*

Working on Kel's second sock, and am very proud of myself as I turned the heel at 69 Taps in Akron for SAAZ night (Tuesday). I was able to concentrate well enough with a group of people and beer. Still have a few more inches to go, but the socks should be ready to send soon. Will probably show off the pair at knitting group on Wednesday, then mail the box with socks and scarves. Kel, should I send anything else?

Started reading a garage sale book. (No, in most cases that shouldn't scare you - I picked up Life of Pi and Blink that way. This one however, well...I'm wondering.) Bought it for a quarter (maybe $0.50) because of the blurb from William Gibson. Loved Pattern Recognition and thought that a few coins could be spent on his suggestion. Book seems okay, I guess. I'm about 50 pages in, but nearly didn't make it past page 2, due to this sentence: "It was late early spring, and outside in the darkness it was raining." Late early spring? How awkward is that? I guess I know what he was trying to say, and perhaps he was trying to convey a specific series of days before spring has fully blossomed, but I was not impressed by the phrase. Particularly when other references to season mention winter. It's a quick read (50+ pages before bed), so I'll give it another chance. The writer could just be suffering from poor editing, as I also noticed a girl being called Betsy and Betsey in the same paragraph. Maybe I should concentrate on the story and not the writing. Hey, it worked for Dan Brown - he managed to make millions out of mediocre writing and a decent story (even if it did have the traditional Scooby-Doo ending ["And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!" was the only thing missing, in case you were wondering]. Angels and Demons was not nearly as Scooby-Doo.) Then again, maybe I'm just picky. Thoughts?

No comments: